A handful of history of the Palace in Henryków and its surroundings
The first records of the palace come from 1650, when the Baptist Johannes Gazani - the Viennese merchant was a court owner together with adjacent goods.
In 1701 all the estates were purchased by Johannes Tobias, baron von Knobelsdorf, owner of several villages and other estates.
In 1782, the royal staroste Caspar Adolf von Knobelsdorf being the owner of Henryków and Dzikowice he decided
about the conversion of a quiet country manor into a large, spacious manor.
An outbuilding was also built then - in 1801 - as additional living quarters for the steward and servants.
The further expansion of the palace as well as the construction of farm and farm buildings was undertaken in 1826 by the official royal counselor Christian Friedrich von Neumann, who inherited the palace property, being the owner of such estates as Dziwiszów, Lutnia, Puszczykowo, Stara Wieś, Dobra nad Kwisa, Bory Górne, Środkowe and great and Wiechlice.
By 1842, all the farm buildings were built in the amount of 5 huge barns, closing the rectangle of the palace buildings.
The palace and its goods were owned by the von Neumann family from 1820 to 1945, when as a result of military operations they were forced to leave their estates.
The von Neumann family stayed at their home for a certain period, during the turmoil of war, part of the Potocki family, who occupied the more splendid palace chambers.
During the Napoleonic Wars, one of the generals of the Napoleonic army visited here, and during the First World War, the palace was used by high-ranking officers of the Prussian army.
Even a parade of Prussian troops was held in the market square in front of the town hall in Szprotawa.
In the palace outbuilding, for the needs of the residents, a palace chapel was created from one room.
The Henrykowskie estate was located in the immediate vicinity of Szprotawa, which was at that time
a thriving economic center - of course in Germany.
There were many shops, small restaurants and taverns in the city, and street markets were traded
There were even two large hotels: Hotel Pod Zielonym Lwem (zum Grünen Löwen)
and the Hotel Zum Prinz von Preussen
In 1909, a great balloon flight parade took place, for a small Szprotawa it was a great event
and the Prussian army organized parades
the city at that time had a great post office
and a large (for those times) size hospital
In 1945, the property was incorporated into the State Farm, which cultivated over 500 hectares of belonging land to the palace property and led the destructive economy of historic buildings, rebuilding them freely them and demolishing redundant buildings
The property was bought from the state-owned farm by a private entrepreneur from Belgium - the Sampers family, who separated the buildings palace and farm houses with a park
about a size a little over 6 ha and sold to another private person - the Cudowski family, leaving farmland to itself.
The Cudowski family renovated the palace, adapting it
for the needs of tourist activity, however, as a result of a change in the running profile they left the palace closed for their business activities
for about 5 consecutive years.
Some information written by Maciej Boryna:
and a boy in a golden clapper born ...
According to conservation materials, the Henryków Palace was built in 1782 on the initiative of Kaspar Adolf von Knobelsdorff.
From 1821 until the end of World War II it was ruled by the von Neumann family. The same that was also in the possession of Wiechlice Palace.
The reconstruction of the residence in the classical style was carried out in 1826 by Friedrich von Neumann. The facility is accompanied by an attractive palace and park complex with a distinctive classicist outbuilding and outbuildings.
The park is home to Henryk Oak, 635 cm in circumference.
The mysterious Neumann family and the hard-to-believe history deserve more attention,
how she came into possession of a lot of money.
He introduced Georg, the first of the local family, in an almost legendary way
Silesian writer Buquoi traveling through Wiechlice.
The same Neumann was an interesting figure. He was born in a local inn.
As a young man, he did not stand out and became a poor farmer.
His outstanding organizational skills, noticed by the then owner of the village, soon revealed themselves.
This is how he became the mayor, then the administrator, and finally the tenant of the landed farm.
He had already bought something back then, and then leased the count Reuss farm.
Thanks to smart actions
and by happy coincidences he got so rich that he bought Wiechlice. And he did not stop there, still acquiring many valuable goods. He is called the senior steward of Neumann, and he lived
in Dzietrzychowice near Żagań. It is living proof of how by skill,
reason and happiness can come to wealth.
"A few years ago he gave the school in Wiechlice 200 thalers for the poor children."
The whole story sounds pretty fantastic though.
How does an ordinary peasant get wealth in the 18th century and become extraordinarily smart in doing business? Found in the field of valuables? Wonderful child ?
What actually happened remains a mystery.
According to the German lexicon of nobility from 1865, the Neumanns received a coat of arms and a nobility diploma
from the King of Prussia on October 10, 1861, namely Gustav Robert on Henryków
and Heinrich Wilhelm in Wiechlice.
Among the merits in the field of settlement development, the Neumanns founding the Dzikowice-Mexico (Neumannswaldau) colony and probably also Wiechlice-Sierocice (Wiesenhäuser), which were demolished after the war.
Today's palace impresses not only with its external architecture, but also with interior design,
including furniture and a collection of paintings.
The open-air painting, concerts and festivities perfectly fit into the landscape.
A few minutes' walk behind the palace grows the oldest oak in the Szprotawa Region -
the Henryk Oak nature monument, with its characteristic historical steel fittings to protect the tree from destruction, which rather translated into the collection of lightning.
There is another palace nearby - Wiechlice, known e.g. from the story about the treasure of the French, and recently fragments of the penitential cross have been found near the village common room.
Henryków is a former "Szprotawska Wieś" (German: Sprottischdorf), picturesquely located
on the banks of the Szprotawa River. Known already in the Middle Ages.
A trade route from Szprotawa to Głogów led through it, along which 19th-century stone road signs (Szprotawa Park of Stone Signposts) have been preserved.
In 2020, the palace was in our hands and we are trying to restore it to its former glory.
We are aware that it will not be possible immediately,
but with your help -
it will gain splendor in the space of a few years.